Friday, May 29, 2015

Lab hours 4

This weeks lab hours I worked on creating ears for Mr and Mrs Beaver.  First I had to use the pattern sample to cut the ears.  The material that is used for the ear is the same fur material that was used for Mrs. Beavers dress binding around the neck and sleeve.  When sewing the ear we were debating whether to use a cardboard to stiffen the ears or not.  The fur material was fluffy and thick.  I used the sewing needle to stitch the edges of the ears without using the sewing machine.  As part of the ear on the base it needed to overlap so the ear could stand upright and also we can glue the hair clip to the ear.  Below is a picture of the pattern sample for the ear.

Just by looking at the material it had line patterns on it so just trying to cut out the ears I had to make sure that material had the same line pattern on both sides meaning if I was cutting it vertical both side had to be vertical and same goes if it was horizontal.  This was something I learnt while doing this project.  At first I thought it is  easy but the material made it difficult trying to decide which way should I cut the material. Using the pins to hold the materials together makes sewing and stitching easy.  Below is the picture of the ears after hand stitching the edges of the ears.



No comments:

Post a Comment